Thursday, January 20, 2022

 

Blogging as a tool for learning history

A blog can be a meaningful way to explore history as you learn and experience it. With this blog I hope    to contemplate what I've learned since I began the Public History Program at NOVA. 

A blog is an opportunity to contemplate themes related to the courses, themes and skills I have studies so far. It is difficult not to apply what I have learned in everyday life: "There's a Corinthian column!" "That house is Federalist style!" "Wasn't there a restaurant here before that school was erected?"  But what do you do with that information except glaze over the eyes of your family?

By addressing the public, a blogger takes on the responsibility of mastering a topic and explaining it to the best of her ability. Having come to care about all of the things I have studied in the public history program, I consider a blog a special responsibility, like teaching. 

With the internet as my classroom, I will keep the curious reader in mind and anticipate write what I think my audience wants to know.  Blogging is an interesting exchange as I share what I experience and the reader earns along with me. The reader also learns how my knowledge bank is expanding and how my tastes and interests grow with the blog. ~Susan 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home